Monday, June 11, 2012

Hello everyone, My name is Andy. I am happily married with a beautiful daughter who is 6 years old. We live in the country and I love spending time outside and in my garden. I have always struggled with my weight. In high school, I always seemed to be on the heavier side of life. (Of course, now, I'd love to have that weight back!) I hate it and hate how I continue to let myself go, but haven't seemed to find the right recipe for me. I know that I have self confidence issues and I'm very much an emotional eater. And I'm really good at justifying! I have tried running because I always hear how great it is. Last year, I started the Couch to 5K program, but after three months and only getting to Week Two, I struggled so much with breathing that I didn't keep it up. My daughter always says that I should go on the Biggest Loser so I can get healthy and so I figure this is as close as I'm gonna get. I'm excited to be a part but fear I will struggle. Hopefully all your excitement can help me out. Andy

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andy! What part of Illinois do you live in? We were in Urbana-Champaign for 6 years and I love the midwest. I can relate with trying running because of always hearing how great it is, but I am still not a convert. I think it is great you are part of this challenge, and hope you will find the right recipe as we all do this together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Andy! I'm so glad you're doing this with us! I have yet to find joy in running either. Last night I actually tried the Couch to 5K for the first time, so we'll see how it goes. :)

    Keep us posted on how things are going for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support! We live in LeRoy, about 30 mins west of Champaign. We love it! My husband was born and raised in Farmer City, so we'll probably be lifers in this area.

    I may try the program again after a couple of weeks. Maybe I just need an adjustment to my attitude about running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a good thought in a fitness magazine about running. Don't worry about how fast you're going or how quickly you're progressing. By just being out there and doing something, you are lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch. But if you find that you really don't like running then maybe there's another kind of exercise that you'd enjoy more. Do you like doing exercise videos? I know Jenn said she has done Jillian Michaels videos. I also LOVE those! They are only 30 minutes long but you feel like you've worked hard. And you can modify them to match your level of fitness. You can do this Andy! I'm cheering for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with Ann! If you didn't like running, I'd try something else. My cousin won a Biggest Loser competition several years ago, and she did it just doing workout videos at home. I hated the idea of running, so I gave them a try, and it was totally for me!

    They were difficult at first for me since I hadn't exercised regularly in years, but I just kept with it and it was fun to see how I was able to progress and do the more difficult moves for longer. I also had a stationary bike that I rode on regularly and really enjoyed as well. I would watch TV or movies while I rode.

    Do you enjoy brisk walking?

    I started with the same videos my cousin had success with -- Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt. They have Biggest Loser contestants on there doing the workouts behind the trainer, and I personally liked how they were overweight, too. They were sweating like crazy and sometimes doing the exercises incorrectly, which made me feel more comfortable. But that's just me! Plus there were 3 levels on the video. I was on the first level for a long time! :)

    ReplyDelete