Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again...

So, I've been trying to lose weight for several months now and I've been losing it at a snail's pace- like 1 lb a month. When I heard and SAW how great Jenn was doing, I decided I needed to count calories again too. I started counting calories religiously 2&1/2 weeks ago. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 5 lbs. Yippee! But, since then, something has changed and I've been struggling: my kids are out of school for the summer! Yes, I do LOVE having my kids home- I look forward to summer vacation every year, but my schedule has been turned upside down and I've been all out of whack. Case in point: Today I took two of my girls to the pool and I was sitting on the sidelines tending my infant twins. After a while, I realized I was hungry, but all I brought were goldfish crackers for the twins. Well, about 80 goldfish crackers later, I still didn't feel satisfied and I wasted a bunch of calories on a pile of carbs! Boo. And, I realized I was out of my quick go-to healthy, low-cal snacks.

Tonight, I made a trip to Costco and restocked and I wrote down some good food options and NOW I'm ready to do this thing! It's sad, once I actually started a competition, I started eating more poorly. Sheesh- talk about setting myself up for failure. Anyway, just wanted to share how I've been doing. Successful diet and exercise only works when there's a plan in place. I know I have to write down everything I eat and plan ahead or I will fail. My Dad used to always remind us of the "5 Ps": Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. I'd hear that with school and sports on a regular basis. :) It's true! So, if you haven't come up with the right plan yet, it's not too late! In 11 weeks, let's all look back at our "before pictures" and feel proud of how far we've come!

3 comments:

  1. Love the details in your post, and your dad's quote. What are some of your Costco favorites? We go there a couple times a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya -- if I am starving and all I have are kid snacks...once I have a few then my cravings start up again. I don't generally snack (for me personally it seems to work better -- if I snack then the snacking never ends), but if I feel like I'm going to die of starvation then I sometimes have fruit leather -- only 45 calories.

    You have lots of good snack options, though, I bet everyone would be interested in hearing more about.

    I like your dad's "5 P's," though you probably got tired of hearing that as a teenager. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there...eating the kids fishies. :) I would love to hear your healthy snack ideas.

    ReplyDelete