Monday, July 9, 2012

Avacado bean salad

Here is one of our favorite recipes!  It is good with tortilla chips, but we've been using it lately as a taco salad topping and it is great.  You can also eat it just as is and it's yummy!  It does make a lot so if only one or two of you are eating it then I suggest you half the recipe (or make a batch without the avacadoes and only add them in as you eat your portion). I also don't put in as much seasoning as the recipe directs.  I usually just make up the dressing and put in 1/2 or 3/4 of it.  It gets a little soupy otherwise.  You can substitute Italian dressing from a bottle if you want.


AVACADO BEAN SALAD
1 Can black beans (rinsed & drained)
1 can black-eyed peas (rinsed & drained)
1 can sweet corn (rinsed & drained)
3 or more tomatoes chopped
2-4 avacadoes chopped
1 small bunch fresh cilantro chopped, if desired
Good Seasons dry Italian mix (2 packets); sold by the salad dressing bottles.


Mix all produce ingredients together.  Prepare one Italian mix according to directions on the back.  Add partial or full second package for seasoning.  Pour over the chopped ingredients.  Serve as salad or with chips.  Can serve sour cream & salsa on the side.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I made something very similar to this a couple weeks ago for a family gathering. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/southwestern-black-bean-salad.html It was delicious. I served it with chips, but I actually put it on top of my salmon, and that was pretty good. It made a lot (like yours), and I ended up having some left over. So for lunch the next day I put it inside a tortilla and ate it that way.

    I like your idea of using it as a taco salad topping. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete