Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm giving up sugar!

Anyone with me?

I'm giving it up for several reasons. First, it's bad for me. There's really no redemptive value in refined sugar. I do plan to still have unrefined sugars like pure maple syrup and honey, but not in excess and not until I'm over my addiction. Second, I think it is the only thing holding me back from losing. I tend to eat little treats at night. Guess what? Those treats ALWAYS have sugar in them, and usually a lot of it. I never crave almonds or string cheese at night. Because of my late-night snacking, I often exceed my daily caloric goal. If I stop with the sugar, this should help me stay in my calorie range, right? Lastly, I'm always talking to my kids about the evils of too much sugar, but I'm not taking my own advice. It's time to care about the way I eat and show my family that eating healthy IS possible and is enjoyable.

It's almost 4pm and I haven't had any sugar so far today. A small victory, but one nonetheless!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I was thinking the same thing. Sugar has totally killed my diet this week. I'm inspired by Jenn's success and the success of another friend of mine who gave up sugar. I think it can really speed weight loss and help you feel better overall. So, with this new week I'm cutting out sugar--well at least treats. Do you think that will still help me get over a sugar addiction? Or do I really have to pay attention to small amounts of sugar in other foods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I think if there's sugar in your spaghetti sauce, you're okay. You can tackle that one later, if you want. If you cut out your treats, then that will be huge! What I've decided is *just* staying in my calorie range isn't solving my root problem. I just finished my second day of no sugar! When I've done this in the past, I've found that days 4-5 are the hardest. Yay! I'm glad you're with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... I didn't give up sugar after all. :) It's just too hard for me. How'd you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing great! It does get easier. I also have a husband who avoids sugar which makes a big difference. If I was still baking him treats, it would be next to impossible.

    ReplyDelete